I’ve always been sensitive to smells. A lot of it probably has to do with the fact that I’m allergic to most perfumes, but that doesn’t stop me from wearing it.
I think one of the reasons why I buy a lot of perfume is because I really appreciate scent memories. In addition to having all my perfumes’ scents memorized, I can usually identify other smells that I associate with a memory. It’s so amazing how I’ll get a whiff of something and I’m immediately transported to a specific time/place/feeling.
Sometimes I’ll smell something familiar and I don’t know what that smell reminds me of. That drives me NUTS. I’ll think “what was that?” for hours. And if I can’t figure it out, there’s no backup plan. There’s no IMDB for scents… if you can’t figure it out yourself, you’re out of luck.
I started thinking about some of my favorite scent memory triggers today and put together a mini list.
- Scent: a type of chap stick that came in an orange tube, Memory: Cracker Barrel. It smells like the Country Store
- Scent: A whiff of something while walking through the mall (not sure where it came from), Memory: the ocean scene at dusk from Soarin’ at Epcot
- Scent: lime coolada lotion, Memory: our honeymoon in Hawaii
- Scent: ice skating rink, Memory: middle school birthday parties
- Scent: burning smell outside (maybe it’s leaves?), Memory: burning of the Library of Alexandria in Spaceship Earth
- Scent: French Connection perfume, Memory: my family trip to Banff, Canada
- Scent: musty water, Memory: every water ride at any park
So what can I do with this heightened sense of smell? Basically nothing. But I can make it a game for myself, and since the memories are mine, I’ll always win the game. Am I the only person who has a lot of distinct scent memories? Are any of them really specific? Even a little odd? The weird ones are the best ones!